Earlier this year, the 1st Line Defence team embarked on a mission to identify which charity they would collectively like to support as a business.
We received a host of suggestions ranging from those supporting disabilities and illnesses, cancer research plus some more niche options. We done our research and found the Haven House Children’s Hospice, a local charity based in Woodford Green – that encompasses many of these supporting areas for individuals between the ages of 0-18.
Since 2003, Haven House Children’s Hospice has provided a range of support to life-limited children and their families to help them through the most difficult circumstances imaginable.
We wanted to share just some of the good work that Haven House do, and ways that you too can help and support them to achieve their goals.
As well as providing end-of-life care to very sick children and teenagers, they also offer:
- Respite Care – to give parents / guardians / siblings a chance to complete usual daily tasks, knowing that their children are in a safe environment.
- Private flats for seriously sick children and their families, allowing families to live separately but also have nurse’s on-hand immediately if required. This means that their children can have ‘round-the-clock’ care with healthcare professionals – havenhouse.org.uk/endoflife
- Counselling and support sessions for parents, extended family plus a ‘buddy-scheme’ for siblings.
- An events calendar throughout the year for everyone to get involved – havenhouse.org.uk/events
- Fully accessible facilities such as a bathroom, bedroom with hoists installed throughout plus a specialist playground and sensory garden.
Haven House need to raise £4.4 million per year to provide facilities that continue to help seriously ill children and their families, with only 19% of the total being raised by the NHS and local authorities.
1st Line Defence have setup a monthly corporate donation to support all of the fantastic work they do week-in week-out, and we are actively encouraging all staff to raise money and take part in events throughout the year.
The first event we will be participating in is the ‘10K Sparkle Walk’ which will take place Friday 15th May 2020. We are currently looking for sponsors and donations; no matter how big or small, we would really appreciate your support for such a fantastic cause – for more information please visit our JustGiving page.
If you would like to join the 1st Line Defence Team on the ‘10K Sparkle Walk’ you can book directly via www.havenhouse.org.uk/event/sparkle10kwalk2020